UX Writers - Come join Khan Academy and put your passion and skill toward a deeply meaningful purpose! Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
The team at Khan Academy comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, including industry leaders from companies such as Apple, Square, Airbnb, tiny startups, games, and education – we actively foster a cross-disciplinary environment because we believe that’s where the magic happens. The design team is a small, highly diverse group of people; each member has a lot of impact and makes huge contributions across the board. We’re deeply invested in your future: we have high expectations of you, and consider deeply how to best support you to achieve them.
What’s we’re looking for
As a Lead UX writer, you’ll strategically define and shape the voices of the products we develop. Because everything we do is in service of learning, your expertise is an essential part of the design process. As a member of our close-knit design team, you’ll partner with user research, product design, and brand design. You’ll also work cross-functionally with PM, engineering, customer support, business development and marketing. By implementing, documenting, and sharing best practices, you’ll empower product teams and set the standard of quality across the board. Your work will directly impact millions of today’s students and those who support them, while cultivating a growth mindset for everyone along the way.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working with product teams to craft clear and user-centric language
- Conducting research to assess clarity and effectiveness of content with our users
- Offering strategic guidance on designing with language
- Establishing consistency across brand, marketing, and product content
- Creating style guides and documenting best practices
- Evaluating our current UX content and identifying and prioritizing opportunities to improve user experiences, meet strategic goals, and boost learning mindset
- Facilitating workshops and conversations that help product teams design with language
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years experience in UX writing or other relevant product writing field
- Experience guiding product teams in UX writing best practices and creating lightweight, highly collaborative processes
- Ability to balance individual contributor work with strategic thinking and UX direction
- A portfolio of effective UX writing
- A deep curiosity about how and why people learn
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity
- Availability to work full time and at least 3 days/week onsite in our Mountain View, CA office
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- A high-caliber team that believes in the importance of having a great day-to-day experience
- Catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages, including Pocky
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to work on software and programs that are already impacting the future of learning
- The ability to improve real lives and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- The opportunity to even the playing field in education and serve an underserved space
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
A talk by our VP of Design, May-Li
Sal’s TED talk – Let’s teach for Mastery, not test scores
Why design at Khan Academy?
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Source: Tech Jobs for Good
Please let Khan Academy know you found this
job on Remote Only as a thank you to us! 👌