The SAP Team consists of a team of specialists responsible for managing and coordinating the functioning and improvement of EMBL's current SAP systems. The team’s mission is to develop and retain solid in house expertise to ensure the stability of the system and optimize and further develop it where required by business needs.
The team manages the ERP and BI landscape, including interfaces to and from EMBL’s core SAP solutions. The team members are fully involved in the implementation of both large scale system upgrade projects, as well as smaller module specific enhancements. Its members’ project management responsibilities range from conceptual design and product selection in conjunction with key users, to coordination of testing and migration activities, as well as budgetary and resource management.
The team comprises three Section Heads, who each take the lead in the further development of the SAP, BW and BO Systems in one of the three main areas of activity (i.e. Financial & Logistics systems, HR systems and SAP Basis activities) and who cover during their colleagues' absences. Each Section Head is assisted by a team member who is responsible for the day-to-day running of the system as described below. As Senior SAP Basis Officer, you would liaise with the EMBL user community as well as external consultants and SAP's own support functions, and will report to the SAP Team Leader.
As Senior SAP Basis Officer, you will be in charge of all Basis activities related to the complete SAP landscape and interfaces to other systems at EMBL (SAP ERP, BW/BO & ESS/MSS). Your responsibilities cover the following areas:
Staff Management:• Supervising and mentoring junior staff in the team who provide Basis related support
Customer Relations:• Serving as first point of contact for the EMBL user community requiring technical SAP support such as system access and performance issues
• Providing up to date system and user documentation and user training
Supplier Management:• Managing all aspects of system administration in conjunction with EMBL’s hosting partner
• Managing first and second level user support and coordinates with consulting partners
• Working in close collaboration with EMBL’s internal as well as its suppliers’ IT teams
• Maintenance and support of all SAP interfaces and 3rd Party software used within SAP
• Establishing contacts to new suppliers, organize product presentations; initiate and/or support software product tenders, technical testing of new software
System Maintenance:• Safeguarding the technical data integrity in the productive system by ensuring effective and secure transport management
• Ensuring that the authorization concept is adequately applied and controlled. You ensure that the related documentation (EMBL authorization concept) is kept up to date.
• Ensuring that the system is up to date, makes recommendations and leads implementation of improvements and changes to the system architecture
• Managing the technical change management in SAP (Transport System, implementation of technical changes), including coordinating technical change management via "Service Pack" updates
• Coordinating user management (including yearly license reporting, developer keys, etc.)
• Managing all technical aspects of EMBL’s archiving system (currently Saperion) together with EMBL’s IT team
• Keeping up to date with the latest developments in the area of SAP Basis by participating in user groups and attending relevant workshops
Project Management• During project phases you would manage all technical and system architecture aspects and coordinate with the consulting and hosting partners as required.
As our ideal candidate you will have at least 5 years of experience in a similar position and a university degree in computer science or in a related field. A service-oriented attitude, strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team are required. Fluency in English is a must.
You might also have
Previous experience in customer relationship or user support is a plus. Working knowledge of French and a good command of German would be an asset.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else do I need to know
We are innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites: in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
As part of EMBL’s mission, Administration provides services to all personnel members across six sites in order to promote molecular biology across Europe, and to create a centre of excellence for leading young molecular biologists. Administrative positions are connected to but not dependent on scientific work and knowledge. Thus, we aim to establish a dynamic and collaborative working environment across the whole of EMBL to uncover the most of our employees’ potential.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Source: Working Nomads
Please let EMBL know you found this job on Remote Only as a thank you to us! 👌